Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Gratitude - A forgotten virtue

It seems lately the subject or word 'gratitude' keeps popping up. I recognize that as one of Life's litttle ways to bring my personal attention to a particular topic - for whatever reason.

Believe me, I am not an ungrateful person. I have sooo much luck in my life and so many good things that have happened to me - and for that I am grateful and more. But I recognize that sometimes I need to reinforce that.

The kind of gratitude I feel and mean is a pure and simple one - a childlike one. The kind that feels joy and gratitude at the uncommon (for here) sight of a squirrel, for example...and of course for so much more.

I DON'T mean the the kind of gratitude that certain religions interpret - that kind of degrading, groveling 'oh thank you that I may exist, have a bit to eat and a little air to breathe for I am sooo undeserving and insignificant'. You know what I mean. The type of 'religion' that teaches to concentrate on lack (for that will bring you the riches of heaven etc etc) and that abundance is somehow sinful and we should feel guilty about.

I won't go into the various interpretations of Who or What defines The Power That Be. Mine, most certainly 'ain't' (assuming here the southern fanatics will understand me better) the bearded, revengeful, patriarchial, fear instilling kind.

Nope. My heart and soul holds and connects to something far beyond such human characteristics. I don't think we can define 'It' by human limited standards. But anyway...

...this is a wonderful article on gratitude from a newsletter I get:

Hèllo Patricia,
Asoka Selvarajah here. Haven't been in touch for a while. How are you?

Anyway, in these slightly troubling times, I just wanted to sharea thought. it may be one you've heard before but it does not hurt to repeat it. Gratitude.I try to be grateful for whatever I can be grateful about. Who Iam, what I have, the good things around me.

In a world where the focus is increasingly upon lack and danger, it's also a good thing to be grateful for whatever gifts youenjoy. For some, it might be good health. For others, a nice home,children, your parents, a great job, inner peace. You know what it is for you. Of course, if you're hard put to find anything, you can be gladabout sunny days, green trees, a bird or squirrel you mighthappen to see.

So many people are worried, and let little things get them downand be major issues. That should not be your way. Always try to show gratitude. Not only is it the right thing to do, but in doing so, you open yourself up to receive more abundance into your life. If your hand is open, you can receive more. If your fist is clenched tight shut, you cannot. It's as simple as that.

If you care to comment, I welcome your feedback on the blog at: http://tinyurl.com/fljzmRegards,Asoka SelvarajahDo You Have The Power Of The Optimind? Find Out Here...===> http://www.innercirclesecrets.com/optimind.htm <===

No comments: