Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Feeding the Inner Wolf

I know, I haven't paid much attention to my blogs lately. I've been involved in so much lately that when I do have time, frankly I'm too tired to think. Once you become used to that, sadly it can become habit.

A few days ago I ran into the following and remembered it because a friend had forwarded it to me quite a while ago. I found this so meaningful I decided it worthwhile to pass on here. We all - everyone of us - have our inner wolves. Personally, I wish such morsels of wisdom were part of school curriculum as I think this particular little parable would be very easy for young children - or anyone - to grasp and utilize. It is not 'over their heads' yet has such profound spiritual meaning.



Two Wolves


One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two "wolves" inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret,greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, falsepride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Hopefully the Good Wolf is the stronger in most of us. But to be honest, most likely a little of the Evil Wolf is also there...fed just enough to keep it alive and in the way at times.

How much of which wolf rules you? Which one are you feeding most? Do you recognize where some of your energy/feed is nurturing the wrong wolf?

Food for thought?

No comments: